"We work every day...not just sale day!"

Saturday, July 28, 2012

LET'S PLAY DROUGHT SCRAMBLE

The dought is taking its toll in so many ways.  Where'd you get the hay?  What did it cost?  Have you sold your calves?  Do you have enough pasture?  Are you planning to early wean?  What are pairs  bringing?  Can you find me some hay?  I might have cows for sale this fall.  What's this calf market dong?  Wish I'd sold mine earlier.  Do you know of a good feedlot.  They say corn's getting higher than a cat's back!  Did that fire get on you?  You name it, everyone's concerned and rightfully so.

But, the one question I haven't heard yet,  How's your golf game?  That's the only one I can answer for sure.  My golf game is most certainly not good.  Been too busy finding hay and all that goes along with finding hay to play much golf.  Then when I do, the phone gets to ringing or emails start coming in and I loose my concentration.  As if I ever had any concentration to start with.  Went golfing with a friend just the other day and wouldn't you know it, a lady friend sent me one of those mushy emails (should have left the device in the pickup) and in no time I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn let alone a golf ball.  Golf balls, if you don't know, are about the size of a politician's brain and thus damn hard to connect with.  Plus, tri-focals don't help much other than making it look like you're wearing an extra pair of shoes. 

So, needless to say, it's been a frustrating spring and summer for all of us in the livestock business.  Time will have to be the one to answer a lot of the questions.  But, if I had a crystal ball I'd be asking the man upstairs just what kind of winter he has in store for us.  And you thinking,  what business do I have with a crystal ball when I can't manage a golf ball, right?  Pray for rain or snow or highwater,  what ever we can get.  We need it!   

No comments:

Post a Comment